‘My hot water bottle EXPLODED, leaving me with horrific burns,’ says woman, 45, TROLLED by people saying it’s ‘her fault’

Share on facebook
Share
Share on twitter
Tweet

A mum was left with second-degree burns after her hot water bottle exploded while sitting on her sofa.  

Helen Cowell, 45, from Brynamman in South Wales was left walking with a zimmer frame after her hot water bottle exploded, scarring her legs and bum.

She was using one to counter chronic back pain in April but fears similar incidents will start happening regularly as people opt for hot water bottles amid soaring energy prices.

Helen was rushed to intensive car after the hot water bottle exploded (Picture: Jam Press)

She was rushed to hospital, where she was taken to intensive care – and is still feeling the effects today.

“I can’t even explain the pain. I was just screaming,” Helen told NeedToKnow.online.

“The skin was off the back of my legs and my bottom. It was horrendous. I will never forget it for the rest of my life.

“It’s not a case of being burnt and getting over it. It doesn’t work like that.

“It’s traumatised me. I can’t have a bath, I’m too scared.

“I have to have a lukewarm shower.

“If I’m boiling potatoes or veg I can’t drain them.

“My daughter has to do all that. I won’t pour a kettle.

“People don’t think about these things.

She said she was left ‘traumatised’ and having to use a zimmer frame (Picture: Jam Press)

“The fear of a boiling kettle – I couldn’t drink coffee or a cup of tea for nearly three months because of the fear. That’s how it has affected me.”

After being left scarred, Helen has vowed never to use a hot water bottle again – and is warning Brits of the dangers.

She added: “I was in a supermarket the other day and saw this little old lady buying one and I said, ‘Please don’t buy that. If you are going to use them, make sure you use warm water and not hot water.’

“Then I showed her my scarring.

“The sad part of it was she said, ‘I have to buy them because I can’t afford my heating.’ Which is so sad.

Helen was rushed to hospital by her daughter, pictured above (Picture: Jam Press)

“Some people are sleeping with them and that gives me so much anxiety.

“They put them in their bed and catch up with them.

“It doesn’t matter how much air you bring out of them – I did it all properly – it will perish eventually.

“The bottle perished in the middle which is hard to spot.

“I do know how to fill a water bottle correctly.

“It’s hard. I understand why people are using them because it’s expensive to put the heating on right now.

“But I’d rather put a dressing gown on and a blanket – extra layers. It’s just not worth it, it’s really not.

“If I can share my story to raise awareness, that would be great because I really don’t want people to go through what I had to.”

Read more: ‘We can’t get a new mortgage so we’re raffling off our home for £3 a ticket,’ reveals family-of-nine

Do you have an amazing story to share? Come and talk to us editorial@needtoknow.online